Friday, September 18, 2009

epic or not

Most friends I have from college would tell you that it is rare when I allow others to read my writing. This is not because I believe I am a spectacular orator or author, quite the opposite really. Inscribing one’s thoughts for anyone to read is unnerving because one is left exposed and vulnerable. There is risk because once words are written down (static) we feel that we hold some sort of control over them. There is susceptibility too because the message that one wishes to convey will always be interpreted differently by each person who hears or reads it. I used to be overcome to the point of defeat when looking at my inability to communicate the thing that I so desperately wanted to be understood. Miscommunication is a regular occurrence and it is indeed frustrating. Frustrating but unavoidable. One’s history, culture, and experiences help form the filter by which we interpret everything. Therefore certain words I say may have connotations that can either open you up or close you off. I have no control in the situation; I am vulnerable.

Within the surmountable and ever-increasing world of blogging there exists an expectation that each entry will contain some nostalgic bit of literature. Whether one teaches, preaches, writes, converses, or blogs, each is tempted to avoid vulnerability by hiding behind elegant phrases or “original” ideas. A friend and I were talking in the summer and he encouraged me with this: “What has been will be again, what been done will be done again; there is nothing new under the sun.” Ecclesiastes 1:9. Thanks Jesse. I do believe in creative imagination that should be utilized, however there is a certain pressure taken off. Everything I might say here likely has been stated before and that is okay. Some things I might say will be misinterpreted and could offend you and that is okay. Not anything I might say will be a hidden or contrived version of me; this I will try most assuredly to maintain. I cannot promise nostalgia; indeed I might be boring or silly to read! Either way it will be me and if you are daring I would ask the same from you. Thanks to Jordan and those of you who have not been afraid to let others into your world of thoughts; you have encouraged me to do just that. Thanks to my friends and family who will be reading this at home in Canada. I love you and miss you. Thanks for journeying with me.

1 comment:

  1. It's Heather, Cookie.

    What a pleasure to not only read your words, but also be treated to someone who knows grammar, sentence structure, punctuation, spelling, and a little impressive vocabulary!

    Send me your mailing address when you know it and let me know what's good/helpful to put in a care package for you.

    ReplyDelete